- Birth Date
- 13 July 1811
- Death Date
- 21 October 1856
The Jones family sailed to America in 1856 on the S Curling.
Though there is no specific documentary proof, it is believed that William Jones died on 21 October 1856, near Red Butte, after crossing the Platte River for the last time. The Hodgett and Martin Companies had made the last crossing of the Platte (one right after the other a few days earlier) but the onset of snow stalled both companies at Red Butte. They were camped within a mile or two of each other."
His death is recorded in the "Life Story of Lucy Oakley Ellsworth White."
- Age at Departure: 45
- Head of Household
- Died en Route
- Historical Department journal history of the Church, 1896-2001, 15 December 1856, 16-37.
- J[aques], J[ohn], "Some Reminiscences," Salt Lake Daily Herald, 8 December 1878, 1.
- Jones, Louisa, Reminiscence, in Allphin, Jolene, “Tell My Story, Too,” 346-347.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Martin's Handcart Company, 1856," Salt Lake Herald-Republican, 17 November 1907, 14.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America