- Birth Date
- 19 December 1811
- Death Date
- 9 September 1896
John Joshua Tanner
According to the Manuscript History of Brigham Young, 1846-1847 (see 17 August 1846 entry), John J. Tanner received authorization to travel to the Salt Lake Valley with Amasa Lyman in 1847; but he did not actually cross the plains until 1851. Ancestry index to the 1850 Iowa census incorrectly spells the surname "Sanner."
- Age at Departure: 39
- 1850 Iowa Census
- 1856 Utah Census.
- Deseret News [Weekly], 19 Sep. 1896, 432.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- First Council of the Seventy Records, 1835-1885.
- Manuscript History of Brigham Young, 1846-1847, Elden J. Watson, comp., 1971.
- "One on One," Deseret Evening News, 14 Sep. 1896, 4.
- "Registry of Names of Persons Residing in the Various Wards as to Bishops' Reports, Great Salt Lake City, Dec. 28th, A.D. 1852." In Wright, Norman Edgar, ed., Key to Migration Sources Great Britain and North America.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.