- Birth Date
- 14 July 1847
- Death Date
- 19 May 1915
The family sailed to America in 1861 on the ship Monarch of the Sea. The ship manifest shows his name as "Jens Thomassen."
He was traveling with his step-father, Parley Thompson, his mother, and siblings. The Thompson family arrived in New York on 16 June 1861 via the ship Monarch of the Sea. The reminiscence of his sister, Martina, infers that the entire family made the overland trip together.
- Age at Departure: 13
- Anthon H. Lund, Scandinavian Jubilee Album (Salt Lake City: Deseret News, 1900).
- "Handcart Pioneer Dead; Came to Zion with John Murdock," Salt Lake Telegram, 21 May 1915, 2:.
- "James Jensen," Improvement Era, July 1915, 843-4.
- James Jensen, Biographical sketches, 1891-2013.
- Martina Thompson, Biographical information relating to Mormon pioneer overland travel database, 2003-2017.
- New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America