- Birth Date
- 5 January 1797
- Death Date
- 31 August 1874
John Kilpatrick McDonald
Initially, John traveled without his family to the Salt Lake Valley in the Ezra T. Benson Company in 1849. He then returned east to his family.
In 1850, the McDonald family traveled to the Salt Lake Valley with the Warren Foote Company. The McDonald family included John Kilpatrick and his wife Rachel Burke Taaffe, and their children William Taaffe, John Taaffee, and James. John was the Captain of the 5th Ten.
At the end of a mission to Ireland, John returned home with the Edward Bunker Company in 1856. He served as a councilor to Captain Bunker.
- Age at Departure: 52
- Age at Departure: 53
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 59
- 1850 Utah Census.
- Bunker, Edward, Autobiography, 1894, 22-23.
- "Died," Deseret News [Weekly], 2 Sep. 1874, 493.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- "Immigration to Utah," Deseret News, 15 October 1856, 254.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 2 October 1856, 12.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1849, 11.
- McDonald, John T., Autobiographical sketch, in Lawrence Wesley McDonald, Journal entries 1954-1960.
- Parry, John, Reminiscences and diary, 1857 Mar.-1867 Sept., 55-60.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 198.
- Warren Foote Emigrating Company Journal, 1850 June-September.
- Warren Foote autobiography and journals, 1837-1903, vol. 1, 110-26.
- Woodward, W., to Albert Jones, Handcart Veterans Association, 12 Sep. 1906. Handcart Veterans Association, Scrapbook, 1906-1914, fd. 2.