- Birth Date
- 5 January 1797
- Death Date
- 31 August 1874
John Kilpatrick McDonald
Initially, John traveled without his family to the Salt Lake Valley in the Ezra T. Benson Company in 1849. He then returned east to his family.
In 1850, the McDonald family traveled to the Salt Lake Valley with the Warren Foote Company. The McDonald family included John Kilpatrick and his wife Rachel Burke Taaffe, and their children William Taaffe, John Taaffee, and James. John was the Captain of the 5th Ten.
At the end of a mission to Ireland, John returned home with the Edward Bunker Company in 1856. He served as a councilor to Captain Bunker.
Rebaptized in the 13th Ward on 29 August 1852.
- Age at Departure: 52
- Age at Departure: 53
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 59
- 1850 Utah Census.
- Bunker, Edward, Autobiography, 1894, 22-23.
- "Died," Deseret News, 2 September 1874, 493.
- Historical Department journal history of the Church, 1830-2008, Supplement after 31 December 1849, 11.
- "Immigration to Utah," Deseret News, 15 October 1856, 254.
- John T. McDonald autobiographical sketch, Lawrence W. McDonald journal entries, 1954-1960.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 2 October 1856, 12.
- Parry, John, Reminiscences and diary, 1857 Mar.-1867 Sept., 55-60.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 198.
- Warren Foote, Autobiography and journal, 1837 May-1879 December, 110-126.
- Warren Foote Emigrating Company Journal, 1850 June-September.
- Woodward, W., to Albert Jones, Handcart Veterans Association, 12 Sep. 1906. Handcart Veterans Association, Scrapbook, 1906-1914, fd. 2.