- Birth Date
- 11 October 1808
- Death Date
- 16 September 1872
He was part of one of the Mormon Battalion sick detachments before he returned eastward. He headed back across the plains to the Valley in 1849, accompanying his wife and children.
- Age at Departure: 38
- Age at Departure: 40
- Head of Household
- "Grandmother Garner: Another Octogenarian has Gone to Her Rest," Ogden Standard, 19 March 1892, .
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint, Supplement after 31 December 1849, 5F.
- Norma Baldwin Ricketts, The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848 (Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, 1996), 23.
- Silas Richards company, 1849 September in Camp of Israel schedules and reports, 1845-1849.
- Silas Richards diaries, 1846 May-1855 July, Diary, 1849-1853, 1-36.
- Silas Richards letter to Brigham Young, 24 August 1849.
- Silas Richards reminiscences and journal, circa 1849-1871, transcribed by Ailcy C. Morrell, 4-12.