- Birth Date
- 23 November 1806
- Death Date
- 3 March 1893
Elam first arrived in the Valley with the sick detachments of the Mormon Battalion. Shortly after arriving, he returned to Winter Quarters. He crossed the plains again in 1849 with his family with the Richards Company, in which he served as a captain of ten.
- Age at Departure: 40
- Age at Departure: 42
- Head of Household
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1849, 5H.
- Norma Baldwin Ricketts, The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848 (Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, 1996), 23.
- Samuel W. Richards papers, 1839-1909, 1839 April-1840 May.
- Silas Ricahrds reminiscences, 6-7. Trail excerpt transcribed from "Pioneer History Collection" available at Pioneer Memorial Museum [Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum], Salt Lake City, Utah. Some restrictions apply.
- Silas Richards company, 1849 September in Camp of Israel schedules and reports, 1845-1849.
- Silas Richards diaries, 1846 May-1855 July, Diary, 1849-1853, 1-36.
- Silas Richards letter to Brigham Young, 24 August 1849.
- Silas Richards reminiscences and journal, circa 1849-1871, transcribed by Ailcy C. Morrell, 4-12.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.