- Birth Date
- 4 July 1828
- Death Date
- 25 March 1902
James Stephens Brown
Evidence from emigration and church records proves that James and his wife Mary traveled to Utah in 1851. Further research is needed to determine the name of the company they traveled with.
He was captain of the 1862 James S. Brown company and a returning missionary from England.
- Age at Departure: 19
- Age at Departure: 22
- Age at Departure: 30
- Company Captain
- Age at Departure: 34
- Company Captain
- Head of Household
- Brown, James S., Giant of the Lord: Life of a Pioneer , 415-22.
- Brown, James Stephens, Reminiscences and journals, 1857–1900, 12 p.
- Edson, Charlotte Purdy, Autobiographical sketch, in Genealogical Charts and Biographical Sketches of Members of the L.D.S. Church, Ogden Stake , 26 vols., 11:115.
- Ephraim Green journal, 1848 June-September and 1849 December.
- Farrell, George Lionel, [Interview], in "Utah Pioneer Biographies," 44 vols., 10:16-17.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Gordon, John H., Report, in Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 29 Aug. 1859, 2-3.
- Henele Pikale (Henry W. Bigler), "Recollections of the Past," Juvenile Instructor, 15 December 1886, 371.
- Henry W. Bigler reminiscences and diaries, 1846-1850, Volume contents: (1) February 1846-November 1850, 91-106.
- Henry W. Bigler reminiscences and diaries, 1846-1850, Volume contents: (2) July-September 1848, 1-13.
- "How a Utah Man Escaped Death at the Stake," Salt Lake Herald-Republican, 4 August 1901, 3.
- Johnson, Mildred Eliza, to My Dearest Sister, 18 Sep. 1859, in Mildred Moss Boyce, [Biographical sketch of Mildred Eliza Johnson Randall] 1979, 2-3.
- Jonathan H. Holmes diary, 1846-1848.
- McKay, Williamena McKay, A short story of the life of Williamena McKay McKay, in Nora Crystal Hall Lund, Biographies collection [ca. 1950-1983], reel 2, 2.
- McKay, Williamena McKay, Autobiographical sketch, 1915, 2-3.
- Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1959, Volume 1.
- "Names of men who wish for land to cultivate who came from California with Jonathan H. Holmes," Land records, circa 1847-1860, Salt Lake (County) Recorder's Office land records, circa 1847-1860.
- Norma Baldwin Ricketts, The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848 (Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, 1996), 222-23.
- Norma Baldwin Ricketts, The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848 (Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, 1996), 23.
- Samuel H. Rogers reminiscences and diary, 1841-1886, Folder contents: (1) Reminiscences and journal, 1841 June-1855 July, 158-66.
- "Third Independent Company," Deseret News, 8 October 1862, 113.
- Trail diary, Captain James Brown's wagon company, 1859 June-August, 9.