- Birth Date
- 4 July 1828
- Death Date
- 25 March 1902
James Stephens Brown
He was captain of the 1862 James S. Brown company and a returning missionary from England.
- Age at Departure: 19
- Age at Departure: 34
- Company Captain
- Head of Household
- Brown, James S., Giant of the Lord: Life of a Pioneer , 415-22.
- Brown, James Stephens, Reminiscences and journals, 1857–1900, 12 p.
- Edson, Charlotte Purdy, Autobiographical sketch, in Genealogical Charts and Biographical Sketches of Members of the L.D.S. Church, Ogden Stake , 26 vols., 11:115.
- Ephraim Green journal, 1848 June-September and 1849 December.
- Farrell, George Lionel, [Interview], in "Utah Pioneer Biographies," 44 vols., 10:16-17.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Gordon, John H., Report, in Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 29 Aug. 1859, 2-3.
- Henele Pikale (Henry W. Bigler), "Recollections of the Past," Juvenile Instructor, 15 December 1886, 371.
- Henry W. Bigler reminiscences and diaries, 1846-1850, Volume contents: (1) February 1846-November 1850, 91-106.
- Henry W. Bigler reminiscences and diaries, 1846-1850, Volume contents: (2) July-September 1848, 1-13.
- "How a Utah Man Escaped Death at the Stake," Salt Lake Herald-Republican, 4 August 1901, 3.
- Johnson, Mildred Eliza, to My Dearest Sister, 18 Sep. 1859, in Mildred Moss Boyce, [Biographical sketch of Mildred Eliza Johnson Randall] 1979, 2-3.
- Jonathan H. Holmes diary, 1846-1848.
- McKay, Williamena McKay, A short story of the life of Williamena McKay McKay, in Nora Crystal Hall Lund, Biographies collection [ca. 1950-1983], reel 2, 2.
- McKay, Williamena McKay, Autobiographical sketch, 1915, 2-3.
- Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1959, Volume 1.
- "Names of men who wish for land to cultivate who came from California with Jonathan H. Holmes," Land records, circa 1847-1860, Salt Lake (County) Recorder's Office land records, circa 1847-1860.
- Norma Baldwin Ricketts, The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848 (Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, 1996), 222-23.
- Norma Baldwin Ricketts, The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848 (Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, 1996), 23.
- Samuel H. Rogers reminiscences and diary, 1841-1886, Folder contents: (1) Reminiscences and journal, 1841 June-1855 July, 158-66.
- "Third Independent Company," Deseret News, 8 October 1862, 113.
- Trail diary, Captain James Brown's wagon company, 1859 June-August, 9.