- Birth Date
- 8 August 1810
- Death Date
- 1 April 1878
John returned to Iowa and brought his wife and children to Utah sometime between 1851 and 1853. His daughter Eliza Jane was born 12 November 1850 at Mount Pisgah, Union, Iowa. The first documentation to place him in Utah is when he signed up with the Utah State Militia on 10 September 1853. Further research is needed to determine the year of the family's arrival in Utah and the name of the pioneer company with which they traveled.
- Age at Departure: 37
- Age at Departure: 36
- Head of Household
- 1850 Iowa Census, Pottawattamie County.
- 1870 Utah Census, Cache County.
- [Bigler, Henry W.], Henele Pikale, "Recollections of the Past," Juvenile Instructor 21, no. 23 (1 Dec. 1886): 365-66.
- Elmer, Elijah, Diary, in Will Bagley, ed., "To the Tops of the California Mountains: The 1848 Carson Pass Diary of Elijah Elmer," Crossroads Newsletter 4, no. 3 (summer 1993): 5-7.
- Judd, Zadoc Knapp, Autobiography [1903-1907], 33-36.
- [Names of men who wish for land to cultivate who came from California with Jonathan H. Holmes], in Salt Lake Recorder's Office, Land records [ca. 1847-1860].
- Nauvoo Community Project
- Ricketts, Norma Baldwin, The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848 , , 222-23.
- Ricketts, Norma Baldwin. The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848, Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, 1996, 23.
- Rogers, Samuel Hollister, Reminiscences and diary 1841-1886, vol. 1, 158-66.
- Utah, Territorial Militia Records, 1849-1877.