- Birth Date
- 8 August 1807
- Death Date
- 31 August 1864
James Calvin Sly
After serving in the Mormon Battalion, James traveled to the Salt Lake Valley with the Jonathan H. Holmes/Samuel Thompson Company in 1848 as a captain of ten.
In 1850, James traveled from California to the Salt Lake Valley with the Amasa M. Lyman Company.
At the end of a mission to Canada, he traveled to the Salt Lake Valley in the Isaac Allred Freight Train in 1855 as Captain of the guard.
- Age at Departure: 40
- Age at Departure: 43
- Age at Departure: 47
- 7th Company of 50 report, 1855 July, Brigham Young office emigrating companies reports, 1850-1862.
- "Died," Deseret News [Weekly], 21 Sep. 1864, 409.
- Elijah Elmer diary in "To the Tops of the California Mountains: The 1848 Carson Pass Diary of Elijah Elmer," edited by Will Bagley, Crossroads Newsletter 4, no. 3 (summer 1993): 5-7.
- "Immigration List," Deseret News, 12 September 1855, 214.
- Isaiah M. Coombs collection, 1835-1938, Diaries, Volume 1, 1855 April-1856 April 27.
- "Journal and Diary of Albert King Thurber," in Treasures of Pioneer History, 6 vols. [1952-57], 3:283-288.
- "Names of men who wish for land to cultivate who came from California with Jonathan H. Holmes," Land records, circa 1847-1860, Salt Lake (County) Recorder's Office land records, circa 1847-1860.
- Norma Baldwin Ricketts, The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848 (Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, 1996), 222-23.