- Birth Date
- 8 August 1807
- Death Date
- 31 August 1864
James Calvin Sly
After serving in the Mormon Battalion, James traveled to the Salt Lake Valley with the Jonathan H. Holmes/Samuel Thompson Company in 1848 as a captain of ten.
In 1850, James traveled from California to the Salt Lake Valley with the Amasa M. Lyman Company. His name first appears in the records of the Utah Territorial Militia in December 1850.
At the end of a mission to Canada, he traveled to the Salt Lake Valley in the Isaac Allred Freight Train in 1855 as Captain of the guard.
- Age at Departure: 40
- Age at Departure: 43
- Age at Departure: 47
- 1850 Utah Census, Sanpete County.
- 7th Company of 50 report, 1855 July.
- "Died," Deseret News, 21 September 1864, 409.
- Died, Deseret News, 21 September 1864, 5.
- Elijah Elmer diary in "To the Tops of the California Mountains: The 1848 Carson Pass Diary of Elijah Elmer," edited by Will Bagley, Crossroads Newsletter 4, no. 3 (summer 1993): 5-7.
- "Immigration List," Deseret News, 12 September 1855, 214.
- Isaiah M. Coombs collection, 1835-1938, Diaries, Volume 1, 1855 April-1856 April 27.
- "Journal and Diary of Albert King Thurber," in Treasures of Pioneer History, 6 vols. [1952-57], 3:283-288.
- "Names of men who wish for land to cultivate who came from California with Jonathan H. Holmes," Land records, circa 1847-1860, Salt Lake (County) Recorder's Office land records, circa 1847-1860.
- Norma Baldwin Ricketts, The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848 (Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, 1996), 222-23.