- Birth Date
- 12 August 1832
- Death Date
- 25 December 1911
John Smith Hyatt
John and his parents arrived in California on the ship Brooklyn in 1846. He traveled to Utah in 1848 with the Ebenezer Brown Company . His obituary and a 1897 published recollection mistakenly reported the year of his travel to Utah as 1847. He returned from Utah to California to get his parents, Elisha and Matilda Hyatt, along with his younger sister (Helen) in 1852.
- Age at Departure: 16
- Age at Departure: 20
- 1850 Utah Census, Sanpete County.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Hyatt, John S., "One of the Early Ones," Deseret Evening News , 17 May 1897, 8.
- Norma Baldwin Ricketts, The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848 (Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, 1996), 223-25.
- "One More Pioneer of 1847 Has Gone," Deseret Evening News , 2 Jan. 1912, 10.
- Pratt, Parley P., Autobiography of Parley Parker Pratt , 454-55.