- Birth Date
- 22 October 1827
- Death Date
- 7 December 1915
Rufus Chester Allen
Son of Albern and Marcia Allen. Rufus initially traveled to the Valley from California in 1847 with a group of Mormon Battalion veterans. The next year he traveled back to the East and returned the same year. On this trip, he met Brigham Young's west-bound company in mid-July, but it is uncertain from the John D. Lee account as to whether or not Rufus actually joined Young's 1848 company back to Utah or if he traveled with another company.
In the Spring of 1851 he traveled back to California in the Charles C. Rich Company (see the 1850 Utah census, actually taken in early 1851). The census taker found this group camped in Utah County. In 1852 he then returned to Utah in Parley Pratt's eastbound company coming from San Bernardino.
In 1866, he worked as a teamster for Daniel Thompson's out-and-back company, assisting emigrants across the plains.
Rufus was rebaptized in Salt Lake City on 1 November 1848.
- Age at Departure: 19
- Age at Departure: 20
- Age at Departure: 24
- Age at Departure: 38
- Out-and-Back Teamster
- 1850 Utah Census, Utah County.
- A Mormon chronicle: the diaries of John D. Lee, 1848-1876 edited and annotated by Robert Glass Cleland and Juanita Brooks (1955), 1:30-79.
- Allen, Rufus Chester, Autobiographical sketch, in Biographical sketches, 1891- , reel 1, box 1, fd. 12, item 7.
- Book of the Pioneers, Book 1, p. 34.
- “Captain Daniel Thompson, memorandum book 1, 1866.” In Perpetual Emigrating Fund Company church trains accounts 1861-1868, Captains’ accounts 1862-1868.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Pratt, Parley P., Autobiography of Parley Parker Pratt , 454-55.
- Ricketts, Norma Baldwin. The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848, Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, 1996, 23.
- "Rufus Chester Allen," In Biographical Information Relating to Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel database.
- Utah Death Certificates.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.