- Birth Date
- 30 January 1802
- Death Date
- 22 December 1882
George Washington Oman Sr.
He made his first trip to the Valley in 1847, coming east from California with a number of other Mormon Battalion veterans. At some point, he continued east to Winter Quarters because he seen crossing the plains again, captaining his own company in 1851. He only stayed in Utah for a year before moving on to California. Though there is no official roster for his company, the 1852 California census lists all of his family members together in Yuba, indicating that they traveled with him to Utah.
- Age at Departure: 45
- Age at Departure: 48
- Company Captain
- Head of Household
- 1850 Iowa Census, Pottawattamie County.
- California State Census, 1852.
- Find a Grave
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1 September 1851, 1.
- Norma Baldwin Ricketts, The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848 (Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, 1996), 180.
- Norma Baldwin Ricketts, The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848 (Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, 1996), 23.
- Oman, George W., Autobiographical sketch, In Seventies Quorum, Records, 1844-1975, 27th Quorum. (CR 499, reel 83, vol. 1, p. 9)