- Birth Date
- 19 October 1821
- Death Date
- 26 October 1894
James joined the Mormon Battalion, but left with one of the sick detachment, arriving in Utah shortly after the vanguard company in 1847. He returned to Winter Quarters and brought back a wife and child in 1852, traveling with the Howell company.
His surname is spelled "Berrins" on the Iowa census and "Bevins" on the Utah census.
- Age at Departure: 25
- Age at Departure: 30
- Head of Household
- 1850 Iowa Census, Pottawattamie County.
- 1860 Utah Census, Tooele County.
- "3rd Company," Deseret News [Weekly], 18 September 1852, 2.
- 3rd Company of 50 report, 1852 August 4, Brigham Young office emigrating companies reports, 1850-1862.
- Daughters of Utah Pioneers. History of Utah's Tooele County: From the Edge of the Great Basin Frontier (Tooele, UT: Transcript Bulletin Publishing, Inc., 2012).
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1852, 18.
- Norma Baldwin Ricketts, The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848 (Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, 1996), 23.
- Norma Baldwin Ricketts, The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848 (Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, 1996), 244-45.
- "Obituary Notes," Deseret News, 9 November 1895, 672.
- "Obituary Notes," The Deseret Weekly, 10 November 1894, 672.