- Birth Date
- 16 April 1824
- Death Date
- 18 December 1906
John was part of one of the Mormon Battalion sick detachments before he returned eastward. He crossed the plains again in 1852 with company of gold rushers who were headed for California.
- Age at Departure: 23
- Age at Departure: 25
- Brimhall, Noah, Reminiscence in Journal of Noah Brimhall, 10-15.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- "He is a Pioneer Worker, Too," Deseret Evening News , 29 Apr. 1897, 2.
- Norma Baldwin Ricketts, The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848 (Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, 1996), 23.
- Norma Baldwin Ricketts, The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848 (Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, 1996), 244-45.
- "Now And Then," Salt Lake Telegram, 29 July 1926, 8.
- "Registry of Names of Persons Residing in the Various Wards as to Bishops' Reports, Great Salt Lake City, Dec. 28th, A.D. 1852" in Key to Migration Sources, Great Britain and North America: A Manual for Students Attending the Second Annual Priesthood Genealogical Research Seminar, June 19-23, 1967 (Provo: Brigham Young University Division of Continuing Education, 1967), edited by Norman Edgar Wright.
- Utah, Veterans with Federal Service Buried in Utah, Territorial to 1966.
- Utah Death Registers, 1847-1966.