- Birth Date
- 8 November 1828
- Death Date
- 13 December 1896
James arrived in New Orleans on 7 April 1851 via the ship Ellen Maria. He traveled to the Valley that same year. His obituary indicates that he traveled with the Thomas Williams Freight Train, but it also says that he reached Salt Lake City in November 1850. James didn't sail to the U.S. in 1850, and the Thomas Williams Freight Train reached Utah in August. More research is needed. Several years later, he is seen on the trail again, this time as a teamster for the 1868 Mumford out-and-back company. While in this company, William Kimber calls him a company captain and Francis A. Brown labels him as Captain Mumford's adjutant. He was not the company captain, but it seems clear he had additional leadership responsibilities.
- Age at Departure: 22
- Age at Departure: 39
- Out-and-Back Teamster
- "A Biography of James Wrathall," Tooele Transcript, 21 September 1923, .
- England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
- Find a Grave
- Francis A. Brown Journal, 1867 September – 1868 September.
- Kimber, William James, Life history, in [Biographical sketches of the Kimber and Toyn families].
- "Obituary Notes," Deseret Weekly, 2 January 1897, 95.