- Birth Date
- 4 August 1810
- Death Date
- 3 January 1862
Dan sailed to America in 1849 on the ship Buena Vista.
He served as the company Marshal and Captain of the Welsh Saints, and he came with is wife. Several years later, he captained his own company in 1856, but left the company after only two weeks. John A. Hunt took over that company and Dan Jones joined up with the George D. Grant company and traveled with them as far as Platte Bridge. At that point, he met his brother and they separated off to retrieve a cached thrashing machine.
Dan was rebaptized in Salt Lake City on 18 November 1849.
- Age at Departure: 38
- Company Captain
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 45
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 46
- "A Letter from Capt. D. Jones to President W. Phillips," The Call of Zion: The Story of the First Welsh Mormon Emigration (1987), by Ronald D. Dennis, 184-89.
- Abigail Smith Abbott autobiography, 31. Trail excerpt transcribed from "Pioneer History Collection" available at Pioneer Memorial Museum [Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum], Salt Lake City, Utah. Some restrictions apply.
- Albert Jones notes, circa 1906.
- Bathsheba W. Smith journal, 1849 June-October, 23.
- Camp of Israel schedules and reports, 1845-1849.
- Chapman Duncan reminiscences, 1852-1874, 11a.
- Dan Jones Emigrating Company journal, 1856 May-December.
- "Died," Deseret News [Weekly], 5 Feb. 1862, 256.
- Driggs, Ben W., [Letter], in "Pioneer Trail Experiences," Deseret Evening News, 26 April 1913, sec. 3, X.
- Edward W. Tullidge, The Women of Mormondom (1877), 342-43.
- Hunt, John A., [Journal], in "Church Emigration Book"
- Isaac Clarke Emigrating Company journal, 1849 July-October.
- J[aques], J[ohn], "Some Reminiscences," Salt Lake Daily Herald, 8 December 1878, 1.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint, Supplement after 31 December 1849, 6.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint, Supplement after 31 December 1849, 8H.
- "Journey from Florence to G. S. L. City," Deseret News [Weekly], 22 October 1856, 258.
- "Letter [July 13, 1849] from Capt. Jones to President William Phillips," The Call of Zion: The Story of the First Welsh Mormon Emigration (1987), by Ronald D. Dennis, 175-77.
- Linforth, J., [Letter], Latter-day Saints' Millennial Star, 10 January 1857, 27-28.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America
- Salt Lake Stake Record of Members, 1848-1917.
- Stewart, Elizabeth White, [Autobiography], in Workman, Mary Ellen B., comp., "Ancestors of Isaac Mitton Stewart and Elizabeth White" .
- Thomas E. Jeremy collection, 1827-1931, Daybook, 1849 February-June, 1850 January.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.
- William I. Appleby autobiography and journal, 1848-1856.
- William Woodward letter to Heber C. Kimball, 11 June 1856.