- Birth Date
- 20 June 1838
- Death Date
- 22 June 1907
Jonas Nuttall Beck
The Beck family sailed from England on the Norfolk on 15 September 1844, and landed in New Orleans in November. The family included James and Elizabeth Yates, and their children Jonas Nuttall and Thomas Campbell, and from James’ first wife, John Beck. From New Orleans, the family took the steam boat “The Hilander” to St. Louis, and arrived 23 November. They stayed for four years in St. Louis, and on 28 March 1848, they left for Council Bluffs or Florence. According to a history Jonas wrote of his life, (found on NewFamilySearch) his family prepared to cross the plains and joined Lorenzo Snow’s company. Lorenzo Snow was a Captain of a Hundred, and was the third company in the Brigham Young Company in 1848.
In 1863, Jonas was called on a mission to England, and on 25 April, Jonas left Salt Lake City. On 27 April 1866, Jonas left England and began his journey home. He sailed on the “John Bright” with a group of Saints and returning missionaries. He then traveled home with the Thomas E. Ricks Company in 1866, as indicated in Deseret News articles in August 1866. Jonas drove a team of four mules, and his wagon had a company of six saints. Among those was Mary Sugden and her three daughters: Mary, Elizabeth, and Sarah. Mary Spencer Sugden eventually became his wife.
- Age at Departure: 9
- Age at Departure: 28
- Returning Missionary
- 1850 Utah Census.
- Beck, Martha, Autobiography, in Joel Edward Ricks, Cache Valley Historical Material [ca. 1955], MS 8237, reel 3, item 25, 3-4.
- "Deaths," Deseret News , 29 Aug. 1888, 528.
- Early Missionary Database
- "First 100, report, 1848 June" in Camp of Israel schedules and reports 1845-1849, Brigham Young's 1848 emigration division.
- "List of Names in Incoming Passenger Trains," Deseret News, 16 August 1866, 1.
- Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1959, Volume 1.
- "Returned Missionaries," Deseret News [Weekly] 30 Aug. 1866, 317.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America
- Utah Death Certificate Index, 1905-1967.