- Birth Date
- 13 December 1830
- Death Date
- 11 March 1911
James Van Nostrand Williams
James initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley in the Judson L. Stoddard Company in 1855. However, he later participated as one of the rescuers that were sent out in the winter of 1856 to assist the members of the Church stranded in Wyoming.
In 1863, James worked as a teamster on an out-and-back company, assisting in bringing the emigrants back to the Valley from Florence.
- Age at Departure: 24
- Age at Departure: 25
- Age at Departure: 32
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Handcart Veterans Association. Handcart Veterans Association scrapbook, 1906-1914, folder 6.
- "Monroe," Richfield Reaper, 17 March 1911, 6.
- "Names of Persons Who Volunteer to Go as Teamsters" in Offerings for the assistance of the P. E. F. immigrants, 1856 October in Perpetual Emigrating Fund Company general files, 1850-1887.
- Utah, Veterans with Federal Service Buried in Utah, Territorial to 1966.
- Utah Death Certificates.
- Williams, James Van Nostrand, Reminiscences and diary [ca. 1894]-1905 May, . (MS 9106)