- Birth Date
- 1 March 1807
- Death Date
- 2 September 1898
He sailed to America in 1841 on the ship The Rochester.
Wilford’s first trip to the Salt Lake Valley was in the Brigham Young Pioneer Company in 1847. He was a captain of ten. On 6 August 1847 he was re-baptized and re-confirmed by Brigham Young
In 1850, Wilford traveled again with the rest of the Woodruff family to the Salt Lake Valley, as Captain of the Wilford Woodruff Company in 1850. On the company rosters found in Journal history, the family is listed as Wilford Woodruff and Phebe Whittemore Carter traveling with their children, Wilford, Phebe Amelia, and Susan.
His travel to Utah is also mentioned in the obituary of his son, Wilford.
- Age at Departure: 40
- Age at Departure: 43
- Company Captain
- Head of Household
- Addison Everett diary, 1847 April.
- Albert P. Rockwood journals, 1847-1853, Journal, 1847 April-July.
- Amasa M. Lyman collection, 1832-1877, Journal, 1847 April 8-September 10, 1-26 and 1-10. Events recorded by Albert Carrington.
- Appleton M. Harmon diary, 1847 April-July.
- Biography of Henrietta E.C. Williams and Enoch Burns (Provo: Brigham Young University, 1953) 62.
- Erastus Snow journals, 1835-1851; 1856-1857, 1847 April-December, 1-92.
- George Benjamin Wallace Emigrating Company journal, 1847 June-September.
- Gibson, Jacob, Autobiography.
- Heber C. Kimball journal in Heber C. Kimball papers, 1837-1866.
- Howard Egan, Pioneering the West, 1846 to 1878, edited and compiled by William M. Egan (1917), 21-105.
- "Impressive Funeral of Wilford Woodruff," Salt Lake Herald-Republican, 9 September 1898, 5.
- John Brown reminiscences and journals, 1843-1896, Volume 1, 56-70.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint, Supplement after 31 December 1850, 7.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1850, 18.
- Lewis Barney autobiography and diary, 1878-1883.
- Luke W. Gallup reminiscences and diary, 1842 May-1891 March, 122-41.
- Millen Atwood journal, 1847 April-July.
- Norton Jacob reminiscence and journal, 1844 May-1852 January, 47-85.
- Patten, George, Reminiscences, 3. (Trail excerpt transcribed from "Pioneer History Collection" available at Pioneer Memorial Museum [Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum], Salt Lake City, Utah. Some restrictions apply.)
- "Pioneer of 1850 Dies at Local Hospital," Salt Lake Telegram, 6 May 1921, 2.
- "President Woodruff's Death," Salt Lake Herald-Republican, 3 September 1898, 4.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America
- Salt Lake Stake Record of Members, 1848-1917.
- Thomas Bullock journals, 1843-1849, Journal, 1847 April-June.
- Utah, Early Mormon Missionary Database
- Wilford Woodruff, "Letter of W. Woodruff, One of the Apostles," Prophet of the Jubilee translated and edited by Ronald D. Dennis (1997), 101.
- Wilford Woodruff journal, 1847 January-1853 December, 25-77.
- William A. Empey, "The Journal of William A. Empey, May 7-August 4, 1847," edited by Dale L. Morgan, Annals of Wyoming (July-October 1949), 124-33.
- William Clayton diaries, 1846-1853, Folder contents: (2) Volume 2, 1847.
- Woodruff, Wilford, Journal, 1847 Jan.-1853 Dec., box 2, fd. 3, in Journals and papers, 1828-1898.
- Woodruff, Wilford, to Brigham Young, 3 Sep. 1850, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 56, box 43, fd. 26.
- Woodruff, Wilford, to Brigham Young, 5 Oct. 1850, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 56, box 43, fd. 26.