- Birth Date
- 20 December 1834
- Death Date
- 21 March 1911
His birth date is confirmed by the missionary register.
The Knight family left Liverpool on 24 September 1848 on the “Sailor Prince” and arrived in New Orleans, Louisiana. The ship manifests indicate the Knight family as parents, James and Maria, and children, Charles (along with his wife and children), Oswell, and Mary. Prior to the family’s travels across the plains, James died of Cholera in St. Joseph, Missouri in 1849.
In Iowa, Oswell, Mary, and their mother joined with the Edward Hunter Company in 1850 and traveled to the Salt Lake Valley through the Perpetual Emigrating Fund.
His brother Charles and his family joined the James Jepson Company in 1852 and traveled to the Salt Lake Valley.
In the spring of 1863, Oswell was called on a mission to England. At the end of that mission, Oswell traveled home with the Samuel D. White Company in 1866, as indicated in a Deseret News article of 30 August 1866.
- Age at Departure: 15
- Age at Departure: 31
- Returning Missionary
- 1850 Utah Census.
- "Arrived," Deseret News [Weekly], 30 Aug. 1866, 317.
- "Capt. Samuel D. White's Train," Deseret News, 16 August 1866, 1.
- "Death of Oswell Knight," Deseret News, 23 March 1911, 2.
- "Deaths and Funerals," Salt Lake Telegram, 23 March 1911, 2.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Utah, Early Mormon Missionary Database
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.
- "Utah State News," Duchesne County Newspaper, 31 Mar. 1911, 2.