- Birth Date
- 1 December 1847
- Death Date
- 15 May 1900
According to the Wasden account, Joseph was traveling overland with his mother, Elizabeth, and his sister, Elizabeth, who died en route. Two other siblings (Eliza and Isaac Jr.) crossed the ocean with them on the William Stetson, but it is uncertain if they traveled in the same overland company. Wasden only mentions the mother, one daughter, and one son.
His father, Isaac Allen Sr., made the overseas trip a year earlier and traveled with the Haight/Kesler freight train, probably as a teamster to help pay his passage. It is possible the oldest brother, Isaac Jr., did this as well.
- Age at Departure: 11
- 1851 England and Wales Census.
- 1860 Utah census, Great Salt Lake, Utah Territory.
- "Deaths," Deseret Evening News, 12 May 1891, 24.
- England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
- Fifteenth Ward, Record of members collection, 1836-1970.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 12 June 1859, 4.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America
- Thomas Wasden, Biographical information relating to Mormon pioneer overland travel database, 2003-2017.