- Birth Date
- 9 January 1821
- Death Date
- 1 January 1901
The Morse family John, his wife Alice, children William, Joseph, Margaret, Sarah, and Hyrum arrived in New York on 31 May 1865 via the ship The Belle Wood. An article in the 20 September 1865 Deseret News places the family with the 1865 Willes Company. However, baby Jane died in Nebraska and John was very sick with Malaria so the family did not end up leaving for the Valley until the following year. The company they traveled with is noted in local church financial records. Sarah Ann's obituary confirms that the family traveled in 1866.
The surname is recorded as "Moss" on the ship records and Willis Company records.
His birth date is confirmed by the burial record.
- Age at Departure: 44
- Head of Household
- 1870 Utah Census, Cache County.
- 1880 Utah Census, Cache County.
- "Captain W. S. S. Willis' Company," Deseret News, 20 September 1865, 403.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- "Funeral Will be Held For Sandy Woman Sunday," Deseret News, 23 January 1926, 8.
- New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 289.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.