- Birth Date
- 10 August 1816
- Death Date
- 15 December 1882
Joseph traveled to Utah as a returning Mormon Battalion veteran in the Mormon Battalion Sick Detachments in 1847.
He gathered his family and returned to Utah in 1851. Familysearch.org indicates that this is the case based on the locations and dates of when children were born.
Joseph later participated as one of the rescuers that were sent out in the winter of 1856 to assist the members of the Church stranded in Wyoming.
- Age at Departure: 30
- Age at Departure: 34
- Age at Departure: 40
- 1850 Iowa Census, Pottawattamie County.
- 1860 Utah Census.
- "Elder Joseph Skeens," Ogden Herald, 19 December 1882, .
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Joseph Skeen reminiscences and diary, 1846 July-1847 May.
- [Unsigned] to "Joseph Skeen and the brethren in your charge...", 1 December 1856. Brigham Young office files 1832-1878, Letterbooks, 1844-1877.
- Utah Veterans with Federal Service Buried in Utah, 1847-1966.