- Birth Date
- 4 December 1839
- Death Date
- 6 March 1900
Martha Jane, in her application to the Daughters of Utah Pioneers in 1920, indicated that she and her family traveled in the Melvin Ross Company in 1850. Melvin Ross was a captain of ten in the 1850 Benjamin Hawkins Company. Later, in 1866, John worked as an out-and-back teamster as part of the Chipman company.
More research is needed in order to confirm John's birth and death dates. Dates listed reflect family tradition from Family Tree at FamilySearch.org.
- Age at Departure: 10
- Age at Departure: 26
- Out-and-Back Teamster
- 1850 Utah Census, Utah County.
- "Account book 1866, 1868." In Perpetual Emigrating Fund Company church trains accounts 1861-1868, Wards' accounts 1861-1868.
- Captain Henry Chipman's Train, Perpetual Emigrating Fund Company church trains accounts, 1861-1868.
- "Death of a Pioneer," Salt Lake Herald, 12 March 1900, 5.
- Find a Grave
- How Beautiful upon the Mountains: A Centennial History of Wasatch County (Heber City, Utah: Wasatch County Chapter, Daughters of Utah Pioneers, 1993).
- William H. Chipman notebook, 1866.