- Birth Date
- 4 September 1825
- Death Date
- 22 December 1861
Sophia was a plural wife of Hiram Dayton. They lived in the Blockhouse, Iowa Branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1846 to 1849. (The Blockhouse Branch was later named Miller's Hollow, then Kanesville, then Council Bluffs.)
At the time of the 1850 Iowa census (taken in September) Sophia "Lance" (age 25), Cynthia "Lance" (age 6) and Alma "Lance" (age 4) were living in Hiram's household in Pottawattamie County. Although the obituary of Sophia's daughter, Isabelle, indicates that they traveled to Utah in 1852, Sophia was re-baptized on 16 November 1851 at Salt Lake City.
In an account written by Mary Elizabeth Stewart which appears in the "Memories" section of her FamilySearch record, she states that her mother and two of her mother's sisters, all wives of Hiram Dayton, came to Utah with him in 1851
At the time of the 1856 Utah Territorial census the Dayton family was living in "St. One City," Utah.
She was re-baptized in Salt Lake City on 16 November 1851.
- Age at Departure: 25
- Hiram Dayton (Age: 52)
- Permelia Dayton (Age: 51)
- Nancy Dayton (Age: 32)
- Mary Dayton (Age: 21)
- Esther Jane Booth (Age: 17)
- Moroni Dayton (Age: 16)
- Lovira Myril Dayton (Age: 10)
- Mary Elizabeth Stewart (Age: 9)
- Cynthia Jane Jewett (Age: 6)
- Alma Theodore Dayton (Age: 4)
- Albert Friend Dayton (Age: 1)
- Isabelle Florinda Dayton (Age: Infant)
- 1850 Iowa Census, Pottawattamie County.
- 1856 Utah Census.
- "Cummings, Mrs. Isabell F. Dayton," Deseret News, 27 November 1909, 8.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Ron Watt, Iowa Branch Index, 1839-1859.
- Salt Lake Stake, Record of members collection, 1836-1970.
- "Stewart, Mary Elizabeth," Women of Faith and Fortitude, 322.
- Watt, Ronald G., Public Works Accounts Books Index , .