- Birth Date
- 17 March 1841
- Death Date
- 1 March 1915
George Gee Merrill
Although his name appears on a non-contemporary list in Journal History (Supplement after 31 Dec. 1848, 19) as having gone to Utah in 1848, that is highly unlikely. His obituary states that he came to Utah in 1849 and this is confirmed by the Silas Richards Company roster, which indicates that he traveled in that company with his parents and siblings.
George later participated as one of the rescuers that were sent out in the winter of 1856 to assist the members of the Church stranded in Wyoming.
Birth date confirmed by Lehi Ward records.
- Age at Departure: 8
- Age at Departure: 15
- 1850 Utah Census, Salt Lake County.
- Cantwell, James to S. S. Jones, Handcart Veterans Association, 28 Sep. 1906. Handcart Veterans Association, Scrapbook, 1906-1914f, fd 2.
- Handcart Veterans Association. Handcart Veterans Association scrapbook, 1906-1914, folder 6.
- Handcart Veterans Association. Handcart Veterans Association scrapbook, 1906-1914, folder 7.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1849, 5G.
- Lehi Ward, Record of members collection, 1836-1970.
- "Pioneer of Smithfield Passes On," Logan Republican, 6 Mar. 1915, 1.
- Silas Richards company, 1849 September.