- Birth Date
- 11 August 1822
- Death Date
- 10 February 1918
Ruel Barrus was a member of the Mormon Battalion. After arriving in California he stayed in California for a few years. According to his own recollection, he came to Utah twice. The first time he came to Utah was in the spring 1853, traveling from San Bernardino, California, to Beaver County, Utah. He accompanied Charles C. Rich's company of saints who had been called to settle in San Bernardino. After fulfilling a mission in California, he went to Utah in 1857. By the 1860 Census he had settled in Grantsville UT, where he lived the rest of his life.
- Age at Departure: 30
- Age at Departure: 34
- 1860 Utah Census, Tooele County.
- 1870 Utah Census, Tooele County.
- Daughters of Utah Pioneers. History of Utah's Tooele County: From the Edge of the Great Basin Frontier (Tooele, UT: Transcript Bulletin Publishing, Inc., 2012).
- "Maj. Ruel Barrus, Mormon Battalion Veteran, Dies," Deseret Evening News, 12 February 1918, 10.
- "Major Ruel Barrus Laid at Final Rest," Salt Lake Tribune, 14 February 1918, 9.
- "Pioneers Will Whirl in Cars Over Old Trail," Salt Lake Herald , 8 Oct. 1905, 2:7.
- Utah Death Certificate Index, 1905-1967.