- Birth Date
- 7 February 1812
- Death Date
- 18 April 1886
Lyman served as captain of the guard. In the 1850 Utah census his surname is spelled "Stephens." He was traveling with his wife and four children.
- Age at Departure: 37
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 35
- 1850 Utah Census, Great Salt Lake, Utah Territory.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1849, 5E.
- Larson, Carl V. comp. A Database of the Mormon Battalion: An Identification of the Original Members of the Mormon Battalion (Salt Lake City: U.S. Mormon Battalion, 1997), 182.
- Names of Pueblo soldiers and Mississippi brethren, 1847.
- Samuel W. Richards papers, 1839-1909, 1839 April-1840 May.
- Silas Richards company, 1849 September.
- Silas Richards diaries, 1846 May-1855 July, Diary, 1849-1853, 1-36.
- Silas Richards letter to Brigham Young, 24 August 1849.
- Silas Richards reminiscences and journal, circa 1849-1871, transcribed by Ailcy C. Morrell, 4-12.
- Stephens, Lyman, Autobiographical sketch, in St. George Stake, High Priest Quorum Genealogical Records, 1872-1906, reel 6039, 138, in Record of Members Collection 1836-1970.