- Birth Date
- 30 March 1833
- Death Date
- 1 May 1881
Sims Lafayette Matheny
The first documentation to place Sims in Utah is the Utah Territorial Militia records. His name appears with the date of July 1854, prior to the arrival of that season's emigration. His name does not appear on the 1850 Utah census or the 1852 Bishop's report, so it is likely that he arrived in Utah in 1853. He may have traveled with Further research is needed to determine the name of the pioneer company with which he traveled.
He married Ellen Barton Ray on 9 October 1855 in Salt Lake City.
In 1855 he paid tithing while living in the Fillmore Ward.
Her death certificate shows her name as "Ellen Ray Matheny Vickers." The inscription on her gravestone shows her name as "Ellen Matheny Vickors."
- Age at Departure: 20
- 1850 Texas Census.
- 1870 Utah Census, Millard County.
- "Died," Deseret News, 11 May 1881, 16.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- General Tithing Office, Tithing reports, 1855-1887.
- Utah, Territorial Militia Records, 1849-1877.
- Utah Death Certificate Index, 1905-1967.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.
- Watt, Ronald G., Consecration Deeds Index, 1854-1868.