- Birth Date
- 23 July 1847
- Death Date
- 9 February 1920
Lewis Lane Phillips
Evidence from census, church, and newspaper records prove that the Phillips family traveled to Utah in 1861. Lewis later participated in the Chipman Company of 1866 as an out-and-back teamster.
More research is needed to confirm Lewis's date of birth. Secondary sources and indirect evidence state and imply that he was born sometime between 1844 and 1849. However, Lewis was probably born closer to 1844 and 1845 as the 1850 and 1860 Censuses imply that he was born sometime between those years. At this time, the birth date listed reflects family tradition from Family Tree at FamilySearch.org.
- Age at Departure: 13
- Age at Departure: 18
- Out-and-Back Teamster
- 1850 United States Census
- 1900 United States Federal Census
- “Captain Henry Chipman Co., 1866.” In Perpetual Emigrating Fund Company church trains accounts 1861-1868, Wards' accounts 1861-1868, Account book, 1866, 1868. (CR 376 8; Box 2; Folder 17; File 6-7, 55-58)
- Chipman, William H., Notebook, 1866.
- "Early Settler of American Fork Dead", Deseret Evening News , 17 Feb. 1920, 2:5.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- "The Flu Has Taken Its Grim Toll From This City: Louie Lane Phillips," American Fork Citizen, 14 February 1920, 1.
- Utah Death Certificates.