- Birth Date
- 9 March 1842
- Death Date
- 8 November 1912
Ellen was a daughter of Soren and Karna Yorgason. They were from Sweden and crossed the Atlantic on the ship John J. Boyd in 1855, arriving at New York on 15 Feb. 1856, then traveling on to Keokuk, Iowa where they remained for a year. According to Ellen's obituary in the Salt Lake Tribune, the family then crossed the plains in 1857, arriving at Salt Lake City on 13 October. Further research is needed to identify the name of the pioneer company with which they traveled. Their surname is spelled "Joransson", "Jorensson", "Johansen","Yawgensen," "Yorgason," and "Jorgensen" in different sources. On the ship manifest it is spelled "Joranson." Ellen married Alexander Paulsen Dahl in Utah. In the 1860 Utah census their surname is spelled "Dell."
Note that her death certificate shows her name as "Ellen Dahl," and her birth date is listed as 7 March 1842. However, the on-line Utah Cemeteries and Burials database and the inscription on her gravestone shows her birth date as 9 March 1842.
- Age at Departure: 14
- "Death of Mrs. Dahl," Deseret News, 8 November 1912, 1.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- "Mrs. Dahl Is Laid To Rest," Deseret News, 13 November 1912, 8.
- "Mrs. Ellen J. Dahl, Aged Utahn, Dead," Salt Lake Tribune, 9 November 1912, 14.
- "Mrs. Ellen J. Dahl Dies In Cottonwood," Salt Lake Telegram, 9 November 1912, 12.
- Utah Death Certificates.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.