- Birth Date
- 11 June 1822
- Death Date
- 15 March 1912
The Caldwell family traveled to the Salt Lake Valley with the Aaron Johnson Company in 1850. The family included Matthew Caldwell Barzilla Guymon and their children Thomas Jefferson, Rachel Almira, and Curtis Washington. Matthew was the Captain of the 2nd fifty. The McOlney Branch record of members confirms that he traveled to the Valley in 1850.
Barzilla’s parents Thomas and Sarah Gordon, and her siblings Polly Ann and family, Noah Thomas and Family, and Melissa Jane were also in the company.
- Age at Departure: 27
- Head of Household
- Caldwell, Matthew, Autobiographical sketch [ca. 1896], 13-14.
- Cornia, Ruth Clarissa Carter, Autobiographical sketch, 8-9.
- Edward Bunker autobiography, 1894, 19-20.
- Elijah Averett autobiography, 15, in Averett family notebook, circa 1916-1965.
- "Emigration," Latter-day Saints' Millennial Star, 15 August 1850, 252-53.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Later-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1850, 3.
- "Matthew Caldwell is Dead," Vernal Express, 15 March 1912, 1.
- McOlney Branch record, 1848-1851.