- Birth Date
- 25 August 1829
- Death Date
- 19 January 1902
James Agee Smith
Birth date is confirmed by the missionary register.
Initially, James traveled to the Salt Lake Valley in the James Pace Company in 1850, as indicated in Jonathan Oldham Duke’s Reminiscences and diary.
According to a 1 January 1902 Deseret Evening News obituary, his family joined the church and moved to Nauvoo. After he traveled to the Salt Lake Valley, he settled in Provo.
At the end of a mission to England, James traveled home in 1868 with the Edward T. Mumford Company, acting as President of the Saints, as indicated in a Deseret Evening News article on 19 September 1868.
- Age at Departure: 20
- Age at Departure: 39
- Returning Missionary
- 1850 Utah Census.
- "Capt. Mumford's Train," Deseret Evening News, 19 September 1868, 3.
- Duke, Jonathan Oldham vol 1.
- Find a Grave
- Francis A. Brown Journal, 1867 September – 1868 September.
- "James Smith the Nauvoo Veteran and Pioneer Gone to Rest," Deseret Evening News, 20 Jan. 1902, 8.
- Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1959, Volume 1.
- Mumford, E. T., to Brigham Young, 11 Sep. 1868, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 44, box 32, fd. 18.
- "Names of Passengers in Captain Mumford's Train," Deseret News, 23 September 1868, 1.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.