- Birth Date
- 14 March 1821
- Death Date
- 26 August 1895
William Bailey Maxwell
He likely traveled to Utah from California with the returning discharged Mormon Battalion veterans in the Hancock/Hunt/Pace/Lytle company. He departed from Salt Lake on Oct. 18, 1847, with many of the Battalion men who had been in that company and were going back to Winter Quarters to rejoin their families. A later statement made by a grandson contends that Maxwell traveled to Utah after his discharge via the Mojave Desert to Tucson and then northward to Salt Lake. Some of the facts in the statement can be disproved and it is suspected that the journey described has been conflated with exploring journeys later taken by Maxwell with Jacob Hamblin.
At some point, he continued east to Winter Quarters because he is seen crossing the plains again in 1852, heading to the Valley with his family.
- Age at Departure: 25
- Age at Departure: 31
- Head of Household
- "16th Company," Deseret News, 18 September 1852, 2.
- 16th Company of 50 report, 1852 July 4.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 17 December 1847, 1-4.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1852, 102.
- Presiding Bishopric immigrant location committee minutes, 1852 September 20-October 13.