- Birth Date
- 12 December 1833
- Death Date
- 27 December 1910
John sailed to America in 1856 on the ship Enoch Train.
Some secondary sources say that the family started for Utah with the 1850 Benjamin Hawkins pioneer company, but that after the death of James, Sarah and her children continued toward Salt Lake with the 1850 Aaron Johnson Company. A primary source is needed to confirm this information.
Several years later, he served as captain of his own company in 1856.
- Age at Departure: 16
- Age at Departure: 22
- Company Captain
- 1850 Utah Census, Utah County.
- Early Missionary Database
- James McDonald, 1802-1850 and Sarah Ferguson McDonald [Excerpts], Biographical information relating to Mormon pioneer overland travel database, 2003-2017, 10-12.
- McDonald, John, "Personal Reminiscences of Early Days in Nauvoo and Utah," Deseret Evening News, 20 Aug. 1910, 20.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger A, p. 250.
- "Pioneer Is Summoned," Salt Lake Herald, 29 Dec. 1910, 12.
- Portrait, Genealogical and Biographical Record of the State of Utah (Chicago: National Historical Record Co., 1902), 146.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America
- Utah Death Certificate Index, 1905-1967.
- "Was A Pioneer In Industrial Utah," Salt Lake Herald, 16 August 1910, 12.