- Birth Date
- 19 September 1806
- Death Date
- 29 August 1883
Loren Whiting Babbitt
At Nauvoo, Illinois, Loren's first wife--Elmira Castle--died in September 1845 leaving him with young children so he married widow Mary Arey Brown in January 1846. Driven out of Nauvoo, they lived in the Blockhouse, Iowa branch of the Church from 1846 to 1849. An article appearing in the Frontier Guardian newspaper, 27 June 1851 reported: "Elder Loren Babbit, lately from England, has taken through with him this season to the Valley of Great Salt Lake, twelve hundred pounds of Sugar Beet Seed." Church records confirm that he arrived in Salt Lake City before 26 April 1852 (this is when he received a Patriarchal Blessing from John Smith). He was baptized a member of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in April 1863 at Amboy, Lee, Illinois.
- Age at Departure: 44
- Head of Household
- Black, Susan Easton. Early Members of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. (6 vols.)
- David C. Chamberlain, "Biography of Charles Brown and Mary Arey."
- Fifteenth Ward, Record of Members.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Frontier Guardian, 27 June 1851.
- Missouri, Deaths and Burials Index, 1873-1976.
- Nauvoo Community Project
- "Registry of Names of Persons Residing in the Various Wards as to Bishops' Reports, Great Salt Lake City, Dec. 28th, A.D. 1852." In Wright, Norman Edgar, ed., Key to Migration Sources Great Britain and North America.
- Utah, FamilySearch, Early Church Information File, 1830-1900
- Watt, Ron, Iowa Branch Index, 1839-1859.