- Birth Date
- 4 January 1806
- Death Date
- 26 May 1875
Mary's first husband (Charles Brown), died at Rochester, Sangamon, Illinois in 1839. She married Loren Whiting Babbitt at Nauvoo, Illinois in 1846. They lived in the Blockhouse, Iowa branch of the Church from 1846 to 1849. In the 1850 census Mary is in Pottawattamie, County, Iowa with two of her children--James and Eliza Brown--and three of her Babbitt step-children (Loren Babbitt, her husband, was on a Church mission in England at this time.) She and Loren were living in the Salt Lake City 15th Ward at the time of the 1856 Utah Territorial census. She probably crossed the plains with Loren in 1851. Further research is needed to determine the name of the company with which they traveled. Salt Lake City 15th Ward and later records list her under the surname Brown.
- Age at Departure: 45
- 1850 Iowa Census
- 1850 Iowa Census, Pottawattamie County.
- 1856 Utah Census.
- David C. Chamberlain, "Biography of Charles Brown and Mary Arey."
- Fifteenth Ward, Record of members collection, 1836-1970.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Frontier Guardian, 27 June 1851.
- Nauvoo Community Project
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.