- Birth Date
- 14 January 1849
- Death Date
- 10 August 1934
Karen Caroline Hansen
The Hansen family crossed the ocean by way of the ship Westmoreland. They began their journey to Utah with the Christiansen Handcart company, as indicated by Martin Hansen's autobiography, but stopped in Genoa and stayed there.
Evidence from genealogical and newspaper records proves that the Hansen traveled to Utah in 1861. A child was born in November 1860 in Iowa, but the first documentation to place them in Utah is the birth of another child in February 1862, which was prior to the arrival of that season's emigration. The obituary of Caroline also states that the family came to Utah in 1861. Further research is needed to determine the name of the company they traveled with.
Caroline's birth and death dates are confirmed by her death certificate. Her death certificate shows her name as "Caroline Hansen Adams." The ship manifest lists her given name as "Karen."
- Age at Departure: 8
- Age at Departure: 12
- "Funeral Held for Pioneer," Salt Lake Telegram , 14 Aug. 1934, 6.
- Handcart Veterans Association. Handcart Veterans Association scrapbook, 1906-1914, folder 6.
- Handcart Veterans Association. Handcart Veterans Association scrapbook, 1906-1914, folder 7.
- "Mrs. Caroline Adams, Pioneer, Passes Away," Pleasant Grove Review, 17 August 1934, 5.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America