- Birth Date
- 19 June 1829
- Death Date
- 27 June 1905
The biographical sketch published during his lifetime indicates that he traveled in the same company as Orson Pratt in 1851, which would have been the Cummings Company. This same sketch indicates that he made several more trips across the plains over the years to "for the purpose of conducting emigrants into Utah."
- Age at Departure: 22
- 1860 Utah Census, Salt Lake County.
- "Alfred Best," In Biographical Information Relating to Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel database.
- "Alfred Best Passes Away," Deseret Evening News, 28 June 1905, 1.
- "Alfred Best is Dead," Salt Lake Herald, 28 June 1905, 7.
- Biographical Record of Salt Lake City and Vicinity (Chicago: National Historical Record Company, 1902), 315.
- "Events of the Month," Improvement Era, 8 (August 1905), 794.
- Thirteenth Ward record of members, 1841-1890