- Birth Date
- 8 January 1811
- Death Date
- 17 March 1896
His travel to Utah is mentioned in the obituary of his son William. In 1852 the family lived in the Salt Lake City 8th Ward.
The family's travel to Utah in 1850 is confirmed by the Kane County Standard article.
- Age at Departure: 39
- Head of Household
- 1850 Utah Census.
- 1860 Utah Census.
- 1870 Utah Census.
- Dibble, Philo to Brigham Young, 24 June 1850. Brigham Young office files 1832-1878, General Incoming Correspondence.
- Edward Hunter and Robert Campbell letter to Brigham Young, 17 July 1850.
- Gibson, Jacob, Autobiography.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint, Supplement after 31 December 1850, 9.
- Nauvoo Community Project
- "Pioneer Couple Married 63 Years," Kane County Standard, 12 May 1933, 1.
- "Registry of Names of Persons Residing in the Various Wards as to Bishops' Reports, Great Salt Lake City, Dec. 28th, A.D. 1852." In Wright, Norman Edgar, ed., Key to Migration Sources Great Britain and North America.
- Utah, Territorial Militia Records, 1849-1877.
- "William Riter Foster, Pioneer of 1850, Dies," Salt Lake Telegram, 10 December 1927, 2.