- Birth Date
- 9 March 1831
- Death Date
- 26 November 1914
A sketch of James Adams' life published in the Deseret Evening News, 14 March 1914 says he arrived in Utah in 1852. However, his obituary says he arrived in 1853 with his brother. Both years are wrong. James and his older brother Hugh crossed the Atlantic on the ship John M. Wood in 1854. Both appear in the Salt Lake City Public Works account book in October that same year. Although there is no known roster of the Garn Company, Hugh appears on a compiled (though incomplete), list of the Garn company. Since James' obituary says he arrived in Utah with his brother, we have added his name as well.
His death date is confirmed by his death certificate.
- Age at Departure: 23
- 1851 Scotland Census
- 1860 Utah Census.
- 1910 Utah Census.
- "James Adams, An Old Resident of Logan, Dead," Deseret Evening News , 28 Nov. 1914, 8.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 42.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America
- Utah Cemetery Inventory
- Utah Death Certificate Index, 1905-1967.
- Utah Death Registers, 1847-1966.
- Watt, Ronald G., Public Works Accounts Books Index , .