- Birth Date
- 31 December 1844
- Death Date
- 14 February 1922
James Moroni Turpin
He initially traveled to the Valley in 1848. At some point, he returned to the East with his family. They were at Fort Leavenworth, preparing to travel to Utah when his father, Jesse Turpin, died of cholera. They must have made the journey back to Utah in 1854 or 1855 because his mother, Eliza Ann, remarried in Salt Lake City in February 1856. The family made another trip to the East, this time returning with his step-father, Peter Van Valkenburg, and family in 1862.
His birth date is confirmed by the inscription on his gravestone.
- Age at Departure: 3
- Age at Departure: 2
- Age at Departure: 17
- "Arrival of Captain Bronson’s Company," Deseret News, 3 September 1862, 6.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- "First 100, report, 1848 June" in Camp of Israel schedules and reports 1845-1849, Brigham Young's 1848 emigration division.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 29 August 1862, 2.
- "Pioneer of Fairview Answers Call of Death," Mt. Pleasant Pyramid, 17 Feb. 1922.
- "Utah Pioneer of 1848, Indian War Veteran, Is Laid at Final Rest," Deseret News , 20 Feb. 1922, 8.