- Birth Date
- 14 March 1821
- Death Date
- 14 November 1890
John was a member of a Mormon Battalion sick detachment. After he returned to Winter Quarters, he proceeded on to the valley with his family as Captain of 2nd Ten in the James Pace Company. Though his wife and children are not specifically documented in the company, they are in Utah with him at the time of the 1850 census so it is assumed they traveled with him.
- Age at Departure: 26
- Age at Departure: 29
- 1850 Utah Census, Salt Lake County.
- John H. Redd diary, 1850 June-August.
- Ricketts, Norma Baldwin, The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848 , , 244-45.
- Ricketts, Norma Baldwin. The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848, Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, 1996, 23.
- United States Mormon Battalion Pension Applications, 1846-1923.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.