- Birth Date
- 1 March 1836
- Death Date
- 18 November 1916
Mary Eliza Brown
Mary Eliza Brown
Daughter of Mary Arey Brown Babbitt. Mary Eliza Brown and James Andrew Brown married at Kanesville, Iowa on 12 April 1851. According to the Registry of Names of Persons Residing in the Various Wards As To Bishops' Reports, Great Salt Lake City, December 28th, A. D. 1852, a James A. Brown was then living in the Salt Lake 15th Ward. Both James A. and Mary Eliza Brown were re-baptized on 18 January 1853 in the same ward so they must have crossed the plains either in the summer of 1851 or 1852. Additional research is needed to identify the exact year and the name of the pioneer company with which they traveled. Mary became the wife of Nathaniel Vary Jones at Salt Lake City in 1857. Her death notice in the Improvement Era mistakenly says she arrived in Utah in 1855.
- Age at Departure: 10
- 1856 Utah Census.
- David C. Chamberlain, "Biography of Charles Brown and Mary Arey."
- "Died," Improvement Era, vol. 20, no. 3 (January, 1917), 283.
- Nauvoo Community Project
- "Registry of Names of Persons Residing in the Various Wards as to Bishops' Reports, Great Salt Lake City, Dec. 28th, A.D. 1852" in Key to Migration Sources, Great Britain and North America: A Manual for Students Attending the Second Annual Priesthood Genealogical Research Seminar, June 19-23, 1967 (Provo: Brigham Young University Division of Continuing Education, 1967), edited by Norman Edgar Wright.
- Salt Lake City, Utah Cemetery Records, 1848-1992.
- Salt Lake Stake, Record of members collection, 1836-1970.
- Utah Cemetery Inventory
- Utah Death Registers, 1847-1966.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.