- Birth Date
- 12 April 1809
- Death Date
- 26 February 1856
Joseph William Cousins
Joseph William Couzen
The Couzens family arrived in New Orleans on 7 April 1851, via the Ellen Maria. Family sources indicate that they may have spent a year in St. Louis. FamilySearch shows the family's surname as "Cousins." The ship manifest shows their surname as "Couzins," and the marriage record for Joseph and Sarah shows Joseph's surname as "Couzens."
The oldest daughter, Elizabeth, traveled overseas separately via the ship Kennebec, arriving in St. Louis on 19 March 1852. The first record of her in Salt Lake is seen when she is rebaptized in the Seventh Ward on 3 October 1852, but the Public Works Index places the rest of the family in Salt Lake City by 20 September 1852. Elizabeth traveled in an 1852 company. It is likely that the rest of her family joined her in St. Louis and traveled across the plains that same year.
- Age at Departure: 42
- Head of Household
- "Died," Deseret News, 20 February 1878, 41.
- England Marriages, 1538-1973.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger A, p. 142.
- "Report of the 35th Quorum," Deseret News, 13 April 1854, 44.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America
- "Sarah," Our Pioneer Heritage, vol. 1, 226-227.
- Seventh Ward, Record of members collection, 1836-1970.
- Watt, Ronald G., Public Works Accounts Books Index , .