- Birth Date
- 10 February 1829
- Death Date
- 1 September 1914
A few sources give Philip the middle name "Nephi," but because he was born in England before the Book of Mormon was ever published this must have been a later addition to his name that was rarely used. Most sources do not include the middle name Nephi. Apparently its first use was in the baptism record of his oldest son in 1863, long after Philip had crossed the plains.
Philip sailed to America in 1850 on the ship Argo.
He initially crossed the plains to the Salt Lake Valley in 1850 with his brother, Henry. They traveled with an unknown company until reaching the vicinity of Casper, Wyoming, at which point they set off on their own with one other unnamed individual. Further research is needed to determine the name of the company they started with.
Philip's travel to Utah time is mentioned in his brother's obituary as well as his own reminiscence published in the Juvenile Instructor. Later, while returning from a mission, he traveled with the John W. Berry Company.
He was re-baptized in Salt Lake City on 20 October 1850.
In some records his given name is shown as "Philip," and in others it is listed as "Phillip." His death certificate and the inscription on his gravestone show him as "Phillip," but several other sources, including the Early Mormon Missionaries website list his name as "Philip."
- Age at Departure: 20
- Age at Departure: 29
- Bullock, Thomas, to Brigham Young, 26 June 1858, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 36, box 26, fd. 5.
- Bullock, Thomas, to Editor, 22 July 1858, in Missionary Reports, fd. 17.
- "Death of a Pioneer. Henry Margetts Passes Away at His Home at Paris, Idaho," Deseret Evening News, 4 January 1901, 2.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- George Goddard papers, 1855-1899, Journals, Volume 2, 1857 April-1858 July.
- Isaiah M. Coombs collection, 1835-1938, Diaries, Volume 8, 1858 April 13-1858 September 1, 16-66.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 21 June 1858, 30.
- Margetts, Phil, "One Man in His Time Plays Many Parts: His Acts Being Seven Ages," Juvenile Instructor, 1 Aug. 1903, 472-74.
- Owens, G., "Salt Lake City Directory, 1867."
- "Pioneer Actor Called by Death," Salt Lake Telegram, 1 September 1914, 14.
- Salt Lake Stake Record of Members, 1848-1917.
- Thomas Bullock journal, 1858 May-June.
- Utah, Early Mormon Missionary Database
- Utah Death Certificates.
- Watt, Ronald G., Consecration Deeds Index, 1854-1868.
- Welchman, Arthur P., Reminiscences and diary, [ca.1854-1917], fd. 1, 93-94.