- Birth Date
- 28 August 1803
- Death Date
- 18 October 1858
William traveled with a company of non-Mormon Iowans who were headed toward California in 1852 . The party stopped at Salt Lake city for the winter; while here some members the Cooke family converted to the faith. In some sources, the family's surname is spelled "Cook."
William's death is confirmed by the articles in Journal History.
- Age at Departure: 48
- Head of Household
- 1850 Iowa Census
- 1860 Utah Census, Salt Lake County.
- Cooke, Lucy Rutledge, Crossing the Plains in 1852, 1987, 28-30.
- Covered Wagon Women, vol. 4, p. 209, 243.
- Journal History, 12 October 1858, p. 1.
- Journal History, 18 October 1858, 1.
- "Registry of Names of Persons Residing in the Various Wards as to Bishops' Reports, Great Salt Lake City, Dec. 28th, A.D. 1852" in Key to Migration Sources, Great Britain and North America: A Manual for Students Attending the Second Annual Priesthood Genealogical Research Seminar, June 19-23, 1967 (Provo: Brigham Young University Division of Continuing Education, 1967), edited by Norman Edgar Wright.