- Birth Date
- 28 October 1816
- Death Date
- 1 November 1883
Lewis initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley in the Charles C. Rich Company in 1847. However, he later participated as one of the rescuers that were sent out in the winter of 1856 to assist the members of the Church stranded in Wyoming.
- Age at Departure: 30
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 39
- Burton, Robert Taylor, Diaries 1856-1907, Record book, circa 1856 October-November.
- "Death of a Veteran," Deseret Evening News , 2 Nov. 1883, 3.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Handcart Veterans Association. Handcart Veterans Association scrapbook, 1906-1914, folder 7.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 21 June 1847, 50.
- Maxfield, Elijah H. to S. S. Jones, Handcart Veterans Association, 28 September 1906. Handcart Veterans Association, Scrapbook 1906-1914, fd. 2.
- Rich, Sarah DeArmon Pea, Autobiography, 1885-1893, [manuscript:] fd. 2, 27-43 and [typescript:] 57-65.
- Spencer, Claudius to Brigham Young, 12 November 1856. Brigham Young office files 1832-1878, General Incoming Correspondence.
- Utah, Veterans with Federal Service Buried in Utah, Territorial to 1966.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.