- Birth Date
- 6 February 1806
- Death Date
- 15 June 1862
The Banks family sailed to America in 1850 on the ship Argo.
The Banks family sailed to America in 1850 on the ship Argo.Originally from England, John was a stone cutter by trade. He initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley in the Justus Morse Company in 1850. He served as chaplain and counselor in that company.
The obituary of his son Franklin confirms his arrival in Utah in 1850.
At the end of his mission, he traveled home as the Captain of the John Banks Company. His birth date is confirmed by his biographical sketch in Jenson's Biographical Encyclopedia.
- Age at Departure: 44
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 50
- Company Captain
- 1850 Utah Census.
- 3rd Company of 50 reports, 1856 July.
- "Another Pioneer Called by Death," American Fork Citizen, 12 August 1922, p. 3.
- Early Missionary Database
- "Fatal Resistance to the Laws," Deseret News, 18 June 1862, 404.
- Jenson, Andrew, Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia , 2:590.
- Luke W. Gallup reminiscences and diary, 1842 May-1891 March, 122-41.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America
- South, Charles, Diary 1856-1865, 64-67.
- Treasures of Pioneer History, vol. 6, p. 54
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.
- Weech, Hyrum, [Autobiography], in Our Pioneer Parents , 1-5.