- Birth Date
- 17 September 1820
- Death Date
- 28 November 1897
Truman and his wife Ortentia traveled to the Salt Lake Valley with the William Snow/Joseph Young Company in 1850. They left at Winter Quarters the graves of two infant sons: Ezra Newton and Truman Milton.
In 1852, Truman traveled west on a mission to India. He traveled to Los Angeles and then on the San Francisco where he boarded the ship “Monsoon” and sailed for Calcutta, India. At the end of his mission in India, he traveled to Liverpool, and boarded the ship “Enock Train” on 22 March 1856, and arrived in Boston on 1 May. From Boston, he made his way to Iowa City, where he joined the Daniel D. McArthur Company in 1856.
His death date is confirmed by his burial records and Find a Grave web site.
- Age at Departure: 29
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 35
- Returning Missionary
- Angelina C. Farley diaries, 1847-1888, 32.
- Crandal, Mary B. "Autobiography of a Noble Woman," Young Woman's Journal, Feb. 1895, 266-67; ibid., Apr. 1895, 320-23; ibid., May 1895, 387-88; ibid., June 1895, 427.
- Daniel Duncan McArthur Emigrating Company journal, 1856 May-September.
- Daniel Spencer letter to Franklin D. Richards printed in "Foreign Correspondence," Millennial Star, 2 August 1856, 489-90.
- "Emigrants for Utah," Deseret News, 6 August 1856, 8.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Gardner Snow record and account book, 1847-1869, Record, 1850.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint, Supplement after 31 December 1850, 13.
- Leonard, Truman, Jr., Autobiographical sketch, in Biographical sketches 1891- , reel 27, box 27, fd. 10, item 8.
- Luke W. Gallup reminiscences and diary, 1842 May-1891 March, 122-41.
- Martin Henderson Harris, A Utah Pioneer: His Life, Labors, and Posterity (1952), 17.
- McArthur, Daniel D. Reminiscences, in Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 26 Sep. 1856, 3-6.
- Minerva J. Stone letters, 1850-1851.
- Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1959, Volume 1.
- Snow, Gardner, to First Presidency, 28 Aug. 1850, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 31, box 22, fd. 3.
- Treasures of Pioneer History, vol. 4, p. 225
- "Truman Leonard: Pioneer Mormon Farmer," Utah Historical Quarterly, vol. 44 (Summer 1976), 245.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.
- William Snow journal, 1832-1833 and 1850, 3-8.
- Woodward, W., to Albert Jones, Handcart Veterans Association, 12 Sep. 1906. Handcart Veterans Association, Scrapbook, 1906-1914, fd. 2.